Both dogs and cats may be affected by liver disease. Liver disease may be diagnosed in young or senior patients and symptoms may vary widely. Liver diseases that we diagnose and treat include:
- Chronic hepatitis and inflammatory liver conditions
- Hepatic lipidosis – “fatty liver disease”
- Biliary infections and obstruction
- Portosystemic shunt
- Biliary mucocele
During your appointment, we will review your pet’s medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. Following a discussion of the medical history and exam findings, a combination of diagnostics will be recommended and may include:
- Blood tests, including liver function testing
- Abdominal ultrasound or CT with contrast
- Ultrasound guided aspiration for microscopic evaluation +/- bile culture
- Laparoscopic evaluation of the liver and gall bladder
- Histopathologic evaluation of samples collected from the liver
A comprehensive and individualized treatment plan will be developed for your pet based on your pet’s medical history and the results of the tests performed during this visit. Treatment recommendations may include oral medications, vitamin supplementation, dietary modifications, and occasionally surgery.
A plan for follow up rechecks and treatments will be determined based on the diagnosis and treatment plan elected during your pet’s visit. We will collaborate with your primary veterinarian to design the best plan for your pet, which may include follow up rechecks with our team or your primary veterinarian.